Wow. I haven't been to my little forgotten blog in months ( mind you my lack of keeping up with it is nothing new) but the last time I posted was almost 9 months ago! My brother passed away late December of last year and it was the most awful thing that has EVER happened to me. I missed this space, but I am still very much emotional about it all and it's hard for me to fight the urge and write about it all that has happened without ranting and raving, and crying ,etc. I will write about that soon!
Anyway, I just turned 30 years old and I have to say, I don't know if it's because I'm in denial, but I really don't feel 30. I have nothing against it. It's just unbelievable how fast the time goes.
I was up Sunday night thinking about my life and everything that has led me to this point. There have been so many ups and downs (especially this year) in my 29 years that I can very proudly say I have learned a lot. So, in no particular order, I will share at least 30.
1. My family is the most important thing in my life. (God first) but after that they are #1. Period.
2. In relation to #1: I can be the kindest, and nicest person, I say that because that's how I choose to carry myself,(my best to everyday anyway) but once you mess with my family-my kids or my husband, I do not care who you are, I will go all HULK on you and that is a guarantee!
3. Loyalty and honesty are also very important to me.
4. Although it took me awhile to realize it, becoming a Mom at 19 was the best thing that could have ever happened to me. It forced me to be more responsible and independent.
5. I'd rather have a few friends that I can count in one hand, that be surrounded by a lot of fake ones.
6. If people do not pay your bills their opinion shouldn't matter. It took me awhile to realize that one too. I have always cared way too much about other's opinions.
7. Always, always trust your gut and your instincts about anyone and anything. I am constantly reminded of that. To this day I can count on one hand the times I have not been right about that.
8. My goals and dreams from 15 years ago are very different than what they are now and that's ok.
9. Love yourself...no matter what. I learned to love my crooked teeth, weird thumbs, chicken legs, freckles because that is what makes me, me. There is no other Delia out there. That is the beauty of this world that everyone is different. It's exhausting trying to be someone you're not!
10. Do not hold grudges! It's a waste of time. I know this,believe me I do. ( BUT...do not be a fool. If the same things keep happening than something's gotta change! Remember what keeps being done and cut ties immediately)
11. Live life... Love life ...cherish each and everyday and don't stop living.
12. Apologize, don't be stubborn.
13. Marriage is work. You have to be willing to make it work and that means you have to always consider someone else's feelings above your own.
14. Material things are not important. One day you might have to find yourself loosing almost everything and things that happen will force you to be humble and appreciate what is really important.
15. I am not ashamed to say that I love people. I do. I am constantly inspired and amazed by people. There is enough envy in this world... Tell someone that they inspire you!
16. Travel, travel, travel....I am the stay-at home traveller, you know someone with a list of the million places they wish they could visit but can't afford to visit.ha!
17. Get out of your comfort zone once in awhile. Or at least pretend you're confident to the point where one day you might actually believe it.
18. Life is unfair, in so many ways it can be SO unfair. It's hard for me to wrap my head around it . You can be surrounded by toxic people, you know those who just exude negativity constantly and they just don't go away, like a bad rash, or a bad cold, no matter how much you try. But that one person that meant the world to you, your brother and best friend, is forever physically gone. Life can be cruel.
19. Be happy
20. Depression and anxiety hit me hard when I was pregnant with my first and stuck around after that. It's horrible, I fought it, and I do it for my family. They are constantly my reason for not letting the depression monster take over, I refuse to let it.
21. Be positive. I can't help being a "Debby downer". That's why I try to be positive on here and on my Instagram, and other places. I'm not trying to portray a life of perfection and constant happiness, or "fakeness". It's my way of looking back and remembering all those things that brought me joy, all that I hold dear.
22. Things always happen for a reason.
23. Make mistakes and learn from them!
24. I miss my mom all the time. I need her. I was very young when she passed away, but she is always on my mind. I wonder if I am like her in anyway or just a little. I wish I could've met her.
25. Don't stop trying.
26. I have this habit, even more now with so much loss and change, to try and fix what is broken, to mend relationships that, I feel are important to me. No one can ever say that I never tried. That is the honest truth.
27. My most important reason to try and constantly better myself is for my children. I want to be a good example for them.
28. Is it foolish and naive for me to say that I want to live??! I want to die of old age! I mean only God knows my future and my purpose- He knows what's ahead, but I want to be there for my husband and children. I want to grow old with my hubby and retire off to some luxury retirement home in Florida! Ha!
I want to see my babies graduate, marry and have babies of their own. I want to meet my grand babies!(my stomach churns at the thought of not being able to do that)
29. Be smart about money! The worst feeling ever is getting into debt you can't quite get control of or not having emergency money when it's necessary.
30. Barely made it-..lol this is MY list of some of the things I have learned through experience. A lot of them are very similar...but then it wouldn't be a 30 on 30 post!;)
You might not agree with them... That's ok. Everyone has their own truths and advice. I do not consider myself the wisest person or the most mature....age is really just a number.. Age doesn't make you mature. Life does!
.....now... On to toasting myself( yes I am actually toasting myself...hold up your glass of lemonade or other beverage)
" I've made it another year and I can only hope that this will be the year of change and love. Only looking forward and striving for what's best. Living it up on my 30th!!!!"